Friday, June 11, 2010

Fish Tacos

Fish Tacos are one of our regular, easy feasts. If you like fish, you probably have a favorite species you'd like to cook up. We like the mild, fish-farmed tilapia. The two filets pictured below will make enough fish for four tacos.

tilapia filets from a fish farm

Since I normally cook for only two persons, I like to buy four to six filets while on sale and then freeze packages with two filets in each package. 

Some basic ingredients: lemon, lime, avocado, jalepeno and sweet red pepper.




Big Ugly tomato chunks, chopped romaine lettuce, chopped spinach.


Saute stripes of red peppers and diced jalapeno in butter and extra virgin olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. We like these ingredients caramelized. I sometimes add some green onions, as well. Tonight I boiled sweet corn then mixed it into  our fish tacos.


Place butter and caramelized peppers into the pan. Salt and pepper the underside of the fish before placing them in the pan on medium high. Flip fish and peppers several times while they are browning. Squeeze lemon and/or lime over fish.


Here I've separated the thinner sections of the cooked fish on the left. The thicker (less well done) sections are quickly removed and placed in storage for the next meal. Or, cook it all if you cook for more than two.


I butter my tortilla with a mixture of sour cream and chipolte. Pam likes a spicey Thai peanut sauce. Next, pile on sliced greens, tomatoes, avocado, green onions, and fish with pepper saute.   


This is Pam's tortilla; she likes to fold it as follows...






Pam is daintier than I.

Here's my layout, below. I simply wrestle all sides until they fit into my mouth.


Once you get it wrapped up, it becomes a walk around dinner. Who needs plates? Who needs silverware?

~~~

1 comment: